Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My new favorite

Move over Candyland, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and Hi Ho Cherry O.
I have found my new favorite game for my 5 year old.
Seriously, this is a game that adults can enjoy.
I have spent hours with my son on a cold Saturday afternoon playing this game
without realizing the time.

All you need is basic math skills, some strategy and 5 minutes of your time.
It's quick, challenging and fun.
My son has strengthened his counting and adding skills.
He can now count by fours and understands the concept of remainders.
Can I say a teacher's delight.
Beware....
Once your 5 year old catches on.
He will beat you.
Son: "Mom, I'm unbeatable when I'm first."
or even better...
Son: "Mom, I beat you pretty bad, I'll let you go first this time."
Oh how gracious.
Icing on the cake......
It's only 5 bucks at your nearest Walmart/Target.
I'm not even their sponsor.


4 comments:

MrsMama said...

Ooo, we love Mancala too. My boy beats me regularly also. :P

Marathon Mom said...

Can you teach me how to play it? I've gotten it out and I'm terrible at understanding directions. That's what I like about Apples to Apples, it's so easy to understand the rules and explain. Playing games are so much fun. Especially with the kids.

Jen said...

Jill,
I think it was easy for me to catch on since, my son's teacher actually showed me how to play the game while I was volunteering in her classroom.
I'll definitely show you how to play. Very easy!

Katharine said...

I want to get this. I used to play it with my niece... it's fun and really good for exercising the brain! Thanks for reminding me of it! Nice photos, too =-)