Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. I've been anxious. Last night I had a hard time going to sleep. We had "Meet the Teacher" night last night and my daughter's kindergarten teacher wasn't there. She's pregnant and was sick. It was hard with the not knowing who my daughter was going to spend her days. I did get to meet her teacher this morning :)

2. My daughter has been so excited about starting school. She has been talking about going to school for weeks. She had her outfit planned and everything. So, I was excited for her.




3. I didn't know how I was going to react with my baby going to kindergarten. No tears were shed, just heavy weight on my shoulders. Will she do well? Will she make friends? Will she be kind to others? Will her teacher know how special she is?

3. My son on the other hand wasn't quite as thrilled to start school. He's been dreading the standardized tests that 3rd graders take since he heard about it last spring. Thankfully one of his best friends is in his class.



4. While my kids spent their first day at school, I spent the morning at a friend's home having breakfast with other moms. It's the yearly first day of school, mommy stalker breakfast. It just so happens that this friend lives across the school playground. We set chairs out in her front yard and watched our kids play during recess. It's a great time to talk, console etc.

5. Both of my kids exited school beaming so it was a good first day of school.

6. It was also a great last day of summer yesterday. Kids did crafts, played well together. We got a drink at Sonic, went to the park, baked a cake, watched a movie. I could not have asked for a better day. I wish I could say all my summer days had been like that- kids getting along, having fun together.

7. My daughter last week decided that she wanted to make and sell her artwork. We decided it would be best to give the money to kids who didn't have much, so she chose to donate her artwork proceeds to Grace Baptist Joplin Relief Fund. My son also decided to join in and made some art to sell as well. They generated $70. I was impressed with the amount and touched by the kindness.



8. I'm at a loss for what to say next so I will conclude with my gratitudes:



Gratitudes

36. my child's excitement for school.
37. daughter's choices for clothes.
38. childhood friendships
39. routine
40. conversations with my children
41. husband's smile
42 yellow cake with chocolate frosting
43. a smile as my daughter exits the school door on her 1st day of school.

1 comments:

Angie Owen said...

I ♥ your blog, your pictures, and your gratitude! It is refreshing to see/read! I have a page on Facebook called Top Five Daily Blessings where I post my top five every day and it has been such a blessing to me! Thanks for sharing your gratitude and pics with us...your children are simply precious!