Monday, January 25, 2010

Does it really have to be this hard?

Sewing...

I learned the basics in high school.

Rarely use this skill except for sewing pillows, window valances etc.

Before this weekend I hadn't sewn in 5 years.

At that time, I had used my mother-n-laws machine.

I remember pure frustration.

Especially the first hour during my intro with the sewing beast.

Last year I inherited a 1987 Singer with monogram cartridges from my husband's grandma.

It had been in the closet for over a year.

The monogram instructions looked intimidating. So there it stayed in the closet.

Until.....

last week when I pleaded on FB for a sewing lesson and a sweet friend obliged.

I took the Singer out of the closet to get acquainted.

No frustration, sudden outburst occurred when my friend sat beside me to help learn the machine.

Two things we realized:

1. The monogram attachments were broken.

2. We had no idea how to wind an empty bobbin. (I did not have an instruction manual)

*

Fast forward to Saturday without the help of my patient friend.

I printed off directions for winding the empty bobbin.

Here's a quote from the instructions: "The wind-in-place bobbin under the slide plate winds quickly and easily without having to be removed from the machine."

Ha- winds quickly and easily- yeah right.

After numerous attempts (maybe 15) and many adult tantrums, the bobbin was finally wound. For some reason which I still have no idea how, the thread kept winding underneath the actual bobbin.

*


So here is proof that I actually sewed something.


Hand me down tank top and skirt, material from last years Valentine's photo backdrop.
I think it turned out pretty cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I might be coming up to find out how to do that!
Brenda

kreed said...

It may have been frustrating, but you sure created some cute clothes!

nic said...

uber cute! good on ya for unearthing that machine and polishing up your sewing skills...those are some gorgeous results.

if it makes you feel a little fonder of your bobbin-winder, mine is broken and i wind all of my bobbins by hand. an exercise in patience, that.

:)