Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The princess cake

Confession: When it comes to most of my creative ideas,
it's usually a spoof off of someone else's idea.
Like this princess cake:


There is no way I would have been able to think of this on my own.
Plus I used the help of this YouTube tutorial for a princess cake.

The good:
1. Pampered chef's mixing bowl worked wonders for the top of the dress.
2. Cutting a hole in each cake was a brilliant idea before inserting the doll.
3. Purchasing a cheap plastic dressed Barbie helped immensely.
4. First time I ever did the "crumb" layer frosting thing. I'll do that again.
5. Doing the swirly things to the frosting helped when hit with the bad.....

The bad:
1. Since my daughter has an aversion to red dye, I tried frozen black berries to make the frosting pink and purple.
a. I used up 2 cups of blackberries to get the desired colors - that's a lot of mixing.
b. The "purple" icing became too runny. I didn't realize it until after I placed it in the bag to
pipe the designs. It leaked out of the decorating tip and onto my counter.
c. Placing powdered sugar in the runny bag of icing is a bad idea. I had clumps of powdered
sugar while I was trying to decorate the dress. Next time I will get a whole new bag and start all over.
d. The purple icing never got to the desire consistency to pipe the designs. Oh well.
2. I put the cake in the freezer with the "crumb" layer frosting and the wax paper. The wax paper was suppose to be taken out before to help eliminate the frosting mess. The wax paper stuck to the cake! Sigh.......


I believe the good prevailed.

0 comments: